Monday, June 13, 2011

East, West, Up, Down

Today, a slight deviation from the strict Boulder commentary.

I recently returned from a trip to the east coast where I hiked New Hampshire's famed 'Presidential Traverse.' This is a hike through the White Mountains that visits many of the state's presidential peaks: Mt. Washington, Mt. Madison, Mt. Monroe, etc etc. I was aware - having read my Bill Bryson - that hiking in NH's White Mountains is no joke: it's above treeline, the winds are strong, and the temperature can drop quickly. Nevertheless, I reckoned I live in Colorado now! - it can't be that bad... These initial inclinations were somewhat dashed by the following light-hearted signage:


I will say, having now hiked the Traverse more or less successfully, that this route matches many of the best out here in the west. The alpine environment was pristine, beautiful and raw. The vivid greens of spring contrasted eloquently with the subdued but expressive hues of above-treeline.


I reckon that the hike is also as rugged and dangerous as any I've done out west. In addition to both the massive winds and the potential for significant drops in temperature, the clouds and fog will frequently roll in and cut down visibility to the cairn in front of you - at best... While my hiking buddy and I avoided the worst of that, the notion of trying to find the trail while navigating boulder fields, and with near vertical valleys dropping off just a few yards away is, to say the least, sobering.



To sum it up, this hike - and New Hampshire's alpine environment, in general - certainly belongs in the pantheon of great American walks. While not necessarily in terms of elevation, with regards to beauty and a severe environment it rivals much of what Colorado has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment