Monday, August 8, 2011

Taking a Toll

Today I hiked the Blue Lake Trail in our local Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Indian Peaks is an amazing place. Only 50 minutes west of Boulder, it contains some of the stunning and sublime scenery to be had. We are blessed to have this jewel so close.

I extended today's hike up to Little Blue Lake - the drainage for Mt. Audubon, on the northern side of the cirque. And from there, I tried to make it to the Divide where my hopes were to get to the base of Mt. Toll (above). However, given the still considerable snowpack and unstable scree, I turned around just shy of the ridgeline.

A good walk, topped off with the obligatory peanut butter & honey sandwich, as well as a heart-stopping dunk in frigid and clarifying alpine water.

 Not to mention the good company to boot! (with no doubt a good bit more perspective than I have these days...)




No comments:

Post a Comment